[Bloat] [Ecn-sane] [iccrg] Fwd: [tcpPrague] Implementation and experimentation of TCP Prague/L4S hackaton at IETF104

Roland Bless roland.bless at kit.edu
Sat Mar 23 11:19:07 EDT 2019

Hi Mikael,

On 23.03.19 at 11:02 Mikael Abrahamsson wrote:
> On Sat, 23 Mar 2019, Roland Bless wrote:
>
>> I suggest to use an additional DSCP to mark L4S packets.
>
> DSCP doesn't work end-to-end on the Internet, so what you're suggesting
> isn't a workable solution.

It's true that DSCPs may be remarked, but RFC 2474
already stated

   Packets received with an unrecognized codepoint SHOULD be forwarded
   as if they were marked for the Default behavior (see Sec. 4), and
   their codepoints should not be changed.

The rtcweb WG also counts on e2e DSCPs.
After the LE PHB experience I would suggest to probably use
DSCP 5 which has got better chances to survive ToS bleaching (maybe
around 80%), if I understand
https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0140366417312835
correctly. Diffserv behavior is usually configurable and can be changed
without replacing the network gear.

Regards
 Roland