[Bloat] An Empirical View on Content Provider Fairness

Dave Taht dave.taht at gmail.com
Sun May 26 08:07:34 EDT 2019

re: https://arxiv.org/pdf/1905.07152.pdf

A nit with this paper is that I'd have preferred they measured and
reported the actual rtts to the CDNs they tested, rather than inflate
them 50ms via netem.

They report all sorts of different behaviors on competing flows vs a
vs akamai, cloudflare, edgecast, fastly, and google - big buffers,
small, bbr vs cubic, etc.

And, ok, ok, the final bit here after that eval happened is why I'm
reposting widely.

"Luckily, the flow-queuing variant of fq_codel enables a large degree
of fairness even in heterogeneous settings. Thus, it seems to again
stand that the technologies to enable a fair and performant Internet
are available and only need to be deployed at the bottlenecks."

Their prior work, categorizing IW sizes and behaviors in the real
world, was also quite good.

https://tma.ifip.org/2018/wp-content/uploads/sites/3/2018/06/tma2018_paper13.pdf

CTO, TekLibre, LLC
http://www.teklibre.com