[Bloat] Bufferbloat on 4G Connexion

Rich Brown richb.hanover at gmail.com
Wed Oct 23 07:56:32 EDT 2019

> On Oct 23, 2019, at 5:54 AM,<erik.taraldsen at telenor.com <mailto:erik.taraldsen at telenor.com>> wrote:
>
> If you could influence the 4G vendors to de-bloat their equipment, would you recommend BQL, L4S or codel/cake?

I've been enjoying this discussion and wonder whether the work going on in the make-wifi-fast (https://lists.bufferbloat.net/pipermail/make-wifi-fast/) is relevant.

I only have a 30,000 foot understanding of this work, but it seems the use of AQL (Airtime Queue Limit) maps better onto the vagaries of 4G/5G radio transmissions than BQL. Specifically, having a measurement of the actual time it takes to transmit a packet might give additional information about the current link speed, with the potential for adjusting the codel target, etc.

Separately, I also wonder whether the Air Time Fairness algorithm might provide a benefit if the cellphone tower station manufacturers chose to get into the game.

Thanks.

Rich