[Bloat] Dual Channel Wi-Fi

Toke Høiland-Jørgensen toke at toke.dk
Fri Sep 13 07:58:18 EDT 2019

Dave Taht <dave.taht at gmail.com> writes:

> There's more to it than that.
>
> https://www-res.cablelabs.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/06/24150908/Dual-Channel-Wi-Fi-Performance-Test-Report-June-2019.pdf

Looking at the code[0], it seems to be a userspace daemon that does
encapsulation of traffic and sends it over a separate, hidden BSS that
is access-controlled to only allow stations that already performed their
handshake.

So, conceptually it turns several WiFi links into a bonded device where
the AP can steer the traffic between underlying devices.

It's an interesting idea, but I doubt it'll see much deployment: Just
the requirement of running a daemon on each client device is bound to
put a damper on that. It's not quite clear to me whether the station
would need to support associating on multiple bands at the same time;
not sure how many clients do that...

Also, I wonder how well the userspace encapsulation stuff works on a
low-powered AP?

-Toke

[0] https://github.com/ewsi/dcstad is the client daemon; the github org
    has the rest.