[Bloat] Rigorous Coffee Shop Bloat Testing

Kenneth Porter shiva at sewingwitch.com
Tue Sep 3 20:03:13 EDT 2019

--On Tuesday, September 03, 2019 11:29 AM -0700 Dave Taht
<dave.taht at gmail.com> wrote:

> In many cases they share the wifi with their credit card reader and
> when I say that fixing bufferbloat helps,
> their eyes light up. That was a specific problem that at least one had
> - demonstrable - I saw it take forever
> to clear a transaction (and the bloat was 2+ seconds long at the time
> - NOT triggered by me) once... he had a synology router, and "applying
> QoS" "just worked", and we did other things like reposition the
> antenna, also. got me lunch
> that did and he punched a whole bunch of holes in my "repeat business"
> card....

My favorite cafe owner would just look like a deer in the headlights over
this. She doesn't do online at all and just provides the wifi for
customers. I'm not sure who set it up for her. Her CC reader is dial-up.

I'm pretty new myself to hacking a consumer router so I don't know what's
even possible. Likely her router doesn't even have any settings to deal
with bloat. What can you do without risking breaking things and ending up
with an angry owner?