[Bloat] [Cerowrt-devel] Ubiquiti Launches a Speed Test Network

Mikael Abrahamsson swmike at swm.pp.se
Fri Sep 6 04:15:33 EDT 2019

On Wed, 4 Sep 2019, Matt Taggart wrote:

> So an interesting idea but they have some things they could improve.

I've been considering what one should run in parallel with the speed test
to get an impression if the speedtest impacts performance of other flows /
realtime flows, similar to what dslreports speedtest does.

I've considered running one or several simulated voip calls (50pps) and
record RTT, PDV, packet loss etc for this session.

It would be interesting to hear any suggestions people have for a fairly
simple codebase that does this that can be included in these kinds of test
clients (both server and client end, and of course one that protects
against reflection attacks etc).

iperf3 can be used for this, but from what I can see the iperf3 server
code isn't very friendly to multiple parallel tests or even resilient
against hung clients that doesn't close the test nicely.

I also considered using WebRTC or VoIP libraries, does anyone know what
RTT/PDV/packet loss data can be extracted from some common ones?

Mikael Abrahamsson    email: swmike at swm.pp.se