[Bloat] How about a topical LWN article on demonstrating the real-world goodness of CAKE?

Simon Barber simon at superduper.net
Tue Aug 11 11:48:33 EDT 2020

I’ve had good success adding GRO into the mix to reduce CPU usage for WiFi APs with complex forwarding rules. The recent Qualcomm chipsets and proprietary drivers support some parts of GRO and TSO in firmware which helps. The kernel’s software GSO function doesn’t work well for this purpose - it reallocates new skbs for headers for all the packets it GSOs - but if you reused the existing space in the skbs for headers, even software GSO could probably be quite fast.

I’ve yet to explore GRO by aggregate but it feels like a natural fit since the wireless packets arrive in aggregates of up to a few 100 frames, to GRO them together into one.

Simon