[Bloat] cake + ipv6

Daniel Sterling sterling.daniel at gmail.com
Mon Aug 17 23:44:17 EDT 2020

This is a very good question, I will stare at "iftop" (and check the
xbox's network settings, if I can), the next time I notice it's
updating.

The report from my "users" :) was that pausing xbox updates solved
their video streaming issues -- but, it may be that there was other
network traffic or that multiple systems were doing updates, and the
update they paused gave back enough bandwidth for their streams.

I will look at traffic summore and let you know if I was mistaken
about the xbox. It is now using ipv6 for at least some updates, I do
know that much for certain, but hopefully I'm wrong about it using too
many v6 addresses.

Jonathan, thanks for the tips re: using ports or remote addresses --

Hmm, I don't know -- is it possible to identify (and thus classify)
plain old bulk downloads, as separate from video streams? They're both
going to use http / https (or possibly QUIC) -- and they're both
likely to come from CDN networks... I can't think of a simple way to
tell them apart.

Is this enough of a problem that people would try to make a list of
netblocks / prefixes that belong to video vs other CDN content?

I do notice video streams are much more bursty than plain downloads
for me, but that may not hold for all users.

That is, for me at least, a video stream may average 5mbps over, say,
1 minute, but it will sit at 0mbps for a while and then burst at
20mbps for a bit.

I can't think of a way to mark such traffic though. Is there a place
where such complex, custom rules for marking packets would sit?
Perhaps a userspace daemon that looks at traffic with pcap?

Thanks,
Dan