[Bloat] cake + ipv6

Michael Richardson mcr+ietf at sandelman.ca
Tue Aug 18 17:55:24 EDT 2020

Daniel Sterling <sterling.daniel at gmail.com> wrote:
    > As I'm sure you know ipv6 addresses are essentially random on the
    > internal LAN as compared to v4 -- a box can grab as many v6 addresses
    > as it wants, and I don't believe my linux router can really know which
    > box is using which address, can it?

So, IPv6 privacy extensions do this.
But, they aren't really supposed to change that fast, and should ideally be
sticky to an application.  So a single batch of xbox downloads should all use
the same IID in the IPv6.

On a home *LAN*, the L2 ethernet address won't change for the xbox, so ideally,
the home router could build some kind of set based upon that, and then use
that.

Adding a layer of L3 router, of course, defeats that, and this is mostly the
point of how privacy extensions are supposed to work.

    > Which means... ipv6 breaks cake's flow isolation.

    > Cake can't throttle all those xbox downloads correctly cuz it doesn't
    > know they're all going to/from that one device.

Are you explicitely throttling by IP address, or are you letting cake figure
it out?

--
Michael Richardson <mcr+IETF at sandelman.ca>, Sandelman Software Works
 -= IPv6 IoT consulting =-