[Bloat] starlink

Dave Taht dave.taht at gmail.com
Sat Dec 12 15:40:22 EST 2020

Sigh. On the plus side the hardware in use on the UFO is a pretty good
QCA platform. It is speculated
on another thread that it actually runs openwrt. So with a few
soldiered on pins to get at a serial port
or figuring out some other way into the box.... we could make a dent in this.

On Thu, Dec 3, 2020 at 12:38 AM Jonas Mårtensson
<martensson.jonas at gmail.com> wrote:

>   > Thanks for sharing! That is some terrible bloat, though! :(
>
> Also widely varying download speed.
>
> >  I imagine it exists in the uplink device rather than the Starlink network itself.  Distinct upload and download bloat tests would help in determining whether it's at your end or the remote end.  You should be able to use dslreports.com/speedtest to determine that.
>
> I'm not the OP but from the reddit thread (https://www.reddit.com/r/Starlink/comments/k0dwon/starlink_and_bufferbloat_testing/.compact), this is their dslreports test:
>
> http://www.dslreports.com/speedtest/66406433
>
> It does look like the main problem is in the uplink. The download speed looks much more consistent in the dslreports test but I guess that could also be due to the short duration of the test.
>
> Another user from the reddit thread showing similar results:
>
> http://www.dslreports.com/speedtest/66406098
>
> /Jonas

>> > Thanks for sharing! That is some terrible bloat, though! :(
>>
>> I imagine it exists in the uplink device rather than the Starlink network itself.  Distinct upload and download bloat tests would help in determining whether it's at your end or the remote end.  You should be able to use dslreports.com/speedtest to determine that.
>>
>>  - Jonathan Morton

"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public
relations, for Mother Nature cannot be fooled" - Richard Feynman

dave at taht.net <Dave Täht> CTO, TekLibre, LLC Tel: 1-831-435-0729