[Bloat] Can't Run Tests Against netperf.bufferbloat.net

Rich Brown richb.hanover at gmail.com
Sat Feb 8 18:17:51 EST 2020

Update: (I thought I had sent the previous message yesterday. My mistake.)

I now have atl3.richb-hanover.com running a netperf server. it's a stock Ubuntu 18.04.4 LTS - uname -a shows: Linux atl3 4.15.0-76-generic #86-Ubuntu SMP Fri Jan 17 17:24:28 UTC 2020 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux. I have installed netperf 2.6.0, and little else.

Next steps:

1) Please hammer on the server to see if it's a suitable replacement for the canonical "netperf.bufferbloat.net". Please feel free to check both its ability to handle traffic as well as any security surprises you discover...

2) I welcome suggestions for configuring the server's TCP stack to be most useful for researchers. fq_codel, bbr, - I'm open to your thoughts.

3) It's not too soon for advice on an iptables strategy for limiting the access/bandwidth/traffic to people who're abusing the service...

Once we have all this in place, we can change the netperf.bufferbloat.net name to point to this server. Thanks.

Rich