[Bloat] is extremely consistent low-latency for e.g. xbox possible on SoHo networks w/o manual configuration?

Michael Richardson mcr at sandelman.ca
Fri Feb 14 09:18:19 EST 2020

Daniel Sterling <sterling.daniel at gmail.com> wrote:
    > I am looking for input / discussion on how to achieve:
    > * on a "regular" SoHo network

    > * first and foremost, to the exclusion of all other goals, consistent
    > low-latency for non-bulk streams from particular endpoints; usually
    > those streams are easily identified and differentiated from all other
    > streams based on UDP/TCP port number,

    > * and assuming the identified and prioritized streams behave
    > themselves and stay non-bulk, decent throughput for all other traffic.

    > That is to say, some endpoints are more important than others; and
    > moreover some apps on some endpoints are most important.

Distinguishing between apps is difficult in IPv4.
IPv6 lets you naturally have many IP addresses, so it could be easier, but
apps need to be taught to use "their" source address.  Or OSes need to force
them, or "containers".

In the specific case of a single network, I'd just do static DHCPv4
allocation and change the parameters on the qos scripts.

In general, I'd want RFC8520 to announce the type of the device, and suggest
a particular class of service.   In the old days, we'd be talking RSVP to
signal desired Diffserv behaviour ("DiffEdge"), but that specification did
not, unfortunately, gain market momentum.

    > I put a linux laptop between CPE (WAN) and LAN. AT&T fiber in my case,
    > 100+ mbit up and down.

It's not a terrible thing to use a laptop, but at 100Mb/s, an Omnia Turris or
equivalenet running latest OpenWRT may be more foolproof. (I'm always the fool)