[Bloat] Does employing a AQM on the home router also solve bufferbloat between home router and upstream devices?

David Lang david at lang.hm
Mon Jun 1 22:58:58 EDT 2020

a normal smart queue will solve the problem on any links it's sending to, so it
will solve the problem on the upstream connection to your ISP.

to address the downstream side, you either need a smart queue on the ISP side,
or you need to play 'interesting' games with acks to throttle the senders so
that they don't overwelm the downstream.

cake and some other options do these downtream tricks, but it would be better to
have a smart queue on the ISP side.

smart queueing only matters on whatever link is the bottleneck, on the other
links, the queue sizes are zero.

David Lang