[Bloat] Does employing a AQM on the home router also solve bufferbloat between home router and upstream devices?

Dave Taht dave.taht at gmail.com
Tue Jun 2 11:45:23 EDT 2020

On Mon, Jun 1, 2020 at 7:49 PM Tianhe <ptq008 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi there. I've read some materials from bufferbloat.net and other sites, trying to understand the problem as best as I can.
>
> And I have a question when reading this:
>
> From https://www.bufferbloat.net/projects/bloat/wiki/What_can_I_do_about_Bufferbloat/ , it says:
>
>> Once you fix it for your own network, it’ll stay fixed for all time, and you won’t be subject to changing practices at your ISP or other vendors.

Well, we should be less optimistic about "all time", nowadays, as
cable ISPs are adding oracles to dynamically change the amount of
bandwidth
you are configured as they overload individual segments. Evenroute is
monitoring "sag" which seems to happen on many dsl
backhauls.

> What does it mean?
>
> Does it mean that :
>
> if I employ a Smart Queue Management algorithms on my home router, it only solves the bufferbloat problem between my home devices (desktop, laptop ,cellphone) to my home router. But the buffers between my home router to upstream devices (my home router  ---> modem ---> ISP routers/switches) , buffers between upstream devices, will still harm? So I only fix the bufferbloat problem on my own local network?
>
> or it mean that employing a Smart Queue Management algorithms on the home router also solve bufferbloat between home router and upstream devices?
>
> Thanks in advance.

"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public
relations, for Mother Nature cannot be fooled" - Richard Feynman

dave at taht.net <Dave Täht> CTO, TekLibre, LLC Tel: 1-831-435-0729