[Bloat] FW: [Dewayne-Net] Ajit Pai caves to SpaceX but is still skeptical of Musk's latency claims

David Lang david at lang.hm
Sat Jun 13 20:06:36 EDT 2020

> Right, if you overprovision the network, and under-utilize it with CBR links,
> then clearly you can get quality, at a high cost.

> I don't think you can make a lot of money at this, because ultimately
> terrestrial providers came in and ate that lunch.

only in urban areas, there are still large parts of the US (let alone the rest
of the world) where cell coverage is spotty and Internet options are few and
slow. running wire/fiber is expensive and doesn't make sense if the customer
density is too low.

wireless ISPs are partially filling that gap, but only partially

David Lang