[Bloat] FW: [Dewayne-Net] Ajit Pai caves to SpaceX but is still skeptical of Musk's latency claims

David P. Reed dpreed at deepplum.com
Sun Jun 14 17:04:05 EDT 2020

I have no problem with WebRTC based videoconferencing. In fact, I think it is pretty good for 2-4 endpoints. But when you have lower cost laptops, they drag down the conferencing because of the compositing and mixing and multiple stream transmission load, even with 2-3 other participants.

[What do you think I and others fought for datagrams back in 1976 for? If it hadn't been for our little cabal, you would have TCP virtual circuits. Period. And it took a lot of arguing - a whole year of nearly losing - until we forced the creation of the IP datagram layer separate from TCP. It was easier to disentangle Telnet from TCP - the initial TCP was going to have "break" and "formatting" characters defined in it and "line at a time" options, etc. Because it was thought that Telnet was the primary use of the Internet, and if you wanted binary octets, you could just quote them.]

So, WebRTC is fine, and it works as well as it works. However, the engineering thought needed to make peer-to-peer *conferencing* scale well (up to interactive webinars with meeting rooms that can be split off, etc) is simplified by having resources other than just "peers" to do that work. Simplifying scalability is a good thing.

I don't think forcing everyone to do media over WebRTC is any better than forcing everyone to use centralized servers. Each approach has tradeoffs. The point of the end-to-end argument was to enable those tradeoffs.

As far as billing by packets, no, I hope it never happens. 70% of the opex of the Bell System was billing-related, because of micro-specific billing.
To bill, you need auditability of the bills. It's not simple at all - you can't just send billing packets to accounts associated with endpoints in an Internet. Every packet on every link is potentially (and likely) billed differently.

If you want the amount you pay your access provider to be proportional to traffic you generate or receive, that may be feasible. Desirable? That's another issue not relevant here. I was talking about billing every packet back to "some responsible party" from every link to reimburse the investor who built that link, bit by bit. That's what the Bell System actually did (outside a local exchange, and between states). And that's why 70% of opex was billing, which would have soared if it were by packet rather than by "call".

You have the Internet ONLY because of Carterfone and other decisions that forced interfaces into the Bell System that they didn't want, because it wrecked their monopoly business model. Data was charged at an incredibly high rate, separate from voice, because to bill for it cost more. The UK got the Internet only because they had to follow the US (rather than billing outrageously). Europe got it last, because PTT's were essentially government revenue generators, so the government hated the idea of losing the money.