[Bloat] Still seeing bloat with a DOCSIS 3.1 modem

Sebastian Moeller moeller0 at gmx.de
Wed Mar 25 05:04:32 EDT 2020

Hi Toke,

> On Mar 25, 2020, at 09:58, Toke Høiland-Jørgensen <toke at toke.dk> wrote:
>
> Aaron Wood <woody77 at gmail.com> writes:
>
>> I recently upgraded service from 150up, 10dn Mbps to xfinity's gigabit
>> (with 35Mbps up) tier, and picked up a DOCSIS 3.1 modem to go with it.
>>
>> Flent test results are here:
>> https://burntchrome.blogspot.com/2020/03/bufferbloat-with-comcast-gigabit-with.html
>>
>> tl/dr;  1000ms of upstream bufferbloat
>>
>> But it's DOCSIS 3.1, so why isn't PIE working?  Theory:  It's in DOCSIS 3.0
>> upstream mode based on the status LEDs.  Hopefully it will go away if I can
>> convince it to run in DOCSIS 3.1 mode.
>
> I think that while PIE is "mandatory to implement" in DOCSIS 3.1, the
> ISP still has to turn it on? So maybe yelling at them will work? (ha!)
>
>> At the moment, however, my WRT1900AC isn't up to the task of dealing with
>> these sorts of downstream rates.
>>
>> So I'm looking at the apu2, which from this post:
>> https://forum.openwrt.org/t/comparative-throughput-testing-including-nat-sqm-wireguard-and-openvpn/44724
>>
>> Will certainly get most of the way there.
>
> My Turris Omnia is doing fine on my 1Gbps connection (although that
> hardly suffers from bloat, so I'm not doing any shaping; did try it
> though, and it has no problem with running CAKE at 1Gbps).

	Well, doing local network flent RRUL stress tests indicated that my omnia (at that time with TOS4/Openwrt18) only allowed up to 500/500 Mbps shaping with bi directionally saturating traffic with full MTU-sized packets. So I undirectional CAKE at 1Gbps can work, but under full load, I did not manage that, what did I wrong?

Best Regards
	Sebastian