[Bloat] Still seeing bloat with a DOCSIS 3.1 modem

Dave Taht dave.taht at gmail.com
Wed Mar 25 15:18:31 EDT 2020

On Wed, Mar 25, 2020 at 8:58 AM Aaron Wood <woody77 at gmail.com> wrote:

> One other thought I've had with this, is that the apu2 is multi-core, and the i210 is multi-queue.
>
> Cake/htb aren't, iirc, setup to run on multiple cores (as the rate limiters then don't talk to each other).  But with the correct tuple hashing in the i210, I _should_ be able to split things and do two cores at 500Mbps each (with lots of compute left over).
>
> Obviously, that puts a limit on single-connection rates, but as the number of connections climb, they should more or less even out (I remember Dave Taht showing the oddities that happen with say 4 streams and 2 cores, where it's common to end up with 3 streams on the same core).  But assuming that the hashing function results in even sharing of streams, it should be fairly balanced (after plotting some binomial distributions with higher "n" values).  Still not perfect, especially since streams aren't likely to all be elephants.

We live with imperfect per core tcp flow behavior already.

What I wanted to happen was the "list" ingress improvement to become
more generally available ( I can't find the lwn link at the moment).
It has. I thought that then we could express a syntax of tc qdisc add
dev eth0 ingress cake-mq bandwidth whatever, and it would rock.

I figured getting rid of the cost of the existing ifb and tc mirred,
and having a fast path preserving each hardware queue, then using
rcu to do a sloppy allocate atomic lock for shaped bandwidth and merge
every ms or so might be then low-cost enough. Certainly folding
everything into a single queue has a cost!

I was (before money ran out) prototyping adding a shared shaper to mq
at one point (no rcu, just  There have been so many other things
toss around (bpf?)

As for load balancing better, google "RSS++", if you must.