[Bloat] Router congestion, slow ping/ack times with kernel 5.4.60

Toke Høiland-Jørgensen toke at toke.dk
Wed Nov 4 11:10:39 EST 2020

Thomas Rosenstein via Bloat <bloat at lists.bufferbloat.net> writes:

> Hi all,
>
> I'm coming from the lartc mailing list, here's the original text:
>
> =====
>
> I have multiple routers which connect to multiple upstream providers, I
> have noticed a high latency shift in icmp (and generally all connection)
> if I run b2 upload-file --threads 40 (and I can reproduce this)
>
> What options do I have to analyze why this happens?
>
> General Info:
>
> Routers are connected between each other with 10G Mellanox Connect-X
> cards via 10G SPF+ DAC cables via a 10G Switch from fs.com
> Latency generally is around 0.18 ms between all routers (4).
> Throughput is 9.4 Gbit/s with 0 retransmissions when tested with iperf3.
> 2 of the 4 routers are connected upstream with a 1G connection (separate
> port, same network card)
> All routers have the full internet routing tables, i.e. 80k entries for
> IPv6 and 830k entries for IPv4
> Conntrack is disabled (-j NOTRACK)
> Kernel 5.4.60 (custom)
> 2x Xeon X5670 @ 2.93 Ghz
> 96 GB RAM
> No Swap
> CentOs 7
>
> During high latency:
>
> Latency on routers which have the traffic flow increases to 12 - 20 ms,
> for all interfaces, moving of the stream (via bgp disable session) moves
> also the high latency
> iperf3 performance plumets to 300 - 400 MBits
> CPU load (user / system) are around 0.1%
> Ram Usage is around 3 - 4 GB
> if_packets count is stable (around 8000 pkt/s more)

I'm not sure I get you topology. Packets are going from where to where,
and what link is the bottleneck for the transfer you're doing? Are you
measuring the latency along the same path?

Have you tried running 'mtr' to figure out which hop the latency is at?

> Here is the tc -s qdisc output:

This indicates ("dropped 0" and "ecn_mark 0") that there's no
backpressure on the qdisc, so something else is going on.

Also, you said the issue goes away if you downgrade the kernel? That
does sound odd...

-Toke