[Bloat] We built a new bufferbloat test and keen for feedback

Dave Collier-Brown dave.collier-brown at indexexchange.com
Wed Nov 4 19:23:09 EST 2020

Tried it, and I really like the header and use of candle-charts!

I got this:

[cid:part1.81AC21AC.758FE66F at indexexchange.com]

I'd like to be able to explain it to non-techie folks (my grandma, and also my IT team at work (;-)), so I wonder on their behalf...

  *   Why is unloaded a large number, and loaded a small one?
     *   milliseconds sound like delay, so 111.7 ms sounds slower than 0.0 ms
  *   Is bloat and latency something bad? The zeroes are in green, does that mean they're good?
  *   Is max "bad"? In that case I'd call it "worst" and min "best"
  *   Is median the middle or the average? (no kidding, I've been asked that! I'd call it average)
  *   Is 25% twenty-five percent of the packets? (I suspect it's a percentile)
  *   What does this mean in terms of how many Skype calls I can have happening at my house? I have two kids, a wife and a grandmother, all of whom Skype a lot.

Looking at the cool stuff in the banner, it looks like I can browse, do audio calls, video calls (just one, or many?) but not streaming (any or just 4k?) or gaming.  Emphasizing that would be instantly understandable by grandma and the kids.

--dave