[Bloat] BBR implementations, knobs to turn?

Neal Cardwell ncardwell at google.com
Mon Nov 16 16:14:45 EST 2020

A couple questions:

- I guess this is Linux TCP BBRv1 ("bbr" module)? What's the OS
distribution and exact kernel version ("uname -r")?

- What do you mean when you say "The old server allows for more
re-transmits"?

- If BBRv1 is suffering throughput problems due to high retransmit rates,
then usually the retransmit rate is around 15% or higher. If the retransmit
rate is that high on a radio link that is being tested, then that radio
link may be having issues that should be investigated separately?

- Would you be able to take a tcpdump trace of the well-behaved and
problematic traffic and share the pcap or a plot?

https://github.com/google/bbr/blob/master/Documentation/bbr-faq.md#how-can-i-visualize-the-behavior-of-linux-tcp-bbr-connections

- Would you be able to share the output of "ss -tin" from a recently built
"ss" binary, near the end of a long-lived test flow, for the well-behaved
and problematic cases?

https://github.com/google/bbr/blob/master/Documentation/bbr-faq.md#how-can-i-monitor-linux-tcp-bbr-connections

best,
neal