[Bloat] BBR implementations, knobs to turn?

Aaron Wood woody77 at gmail.com
Mon Nov 30 12:18:21 EST 2020

> The CPE side has met willingness to investigate these issues from early
> on, but it seems that buffer handling is much harder on CPE chipsets
> than on base station chipsets.  In particular on 5G.  We have had some
> very good results on 4G, but they do not translate to 5G.

My own experience with various CPE work (working with ODMs to get hardware
built) is that those building CPE are stuck with what the silicon vendors
will support, much like where we currently are with home routers.  The AP
firmware and drivers have bloated buffers and there's very little that can
be done to change that.

The large OEMs (the very large, well-known, retail brands) have the volume
to put pressure on the silicon vendors to fix this.  But there's not much
incentive for a silicon vendor to address this issue for a smaller customer.