[Bloat] cake + ipv6

Daniel Sterling sterling.daniel at gmail.com
Thu Oct 1 01:09:21 EDT 2020

On Mon, Sep 28, 2020 at 11:14 AM Toke Høiland-Jørgensen <toke at toke.dk> wrote:
> It depends. A 'sparse' flow should get consistent priority

> That's per flow. But you're misunderstanding the 100ms value. That's the
> 'interval', which is (simplifying a bit) the amount of time CAKE will
> wait until it reacts to a flow building a queue.

> If a flow exceeds its fair share *rate*,
> it'll no longer (from CAKEs) PoV be a 'sparse flow', and it'll get the
> same treatment as all other flows (round-robin scheduling), and if it
> keeps sending at this higher rate, it'll keep being scheduled in this
> way. If the flow is non-elastic (i.e., doesn't slows down in response to
> packet drops), it'll self-congest and you'll see that as increased
> latency.

Ah! Thank you *very* much for this explanation. I greatly appreciate
the effort everyone in this group puts into explaining (and tolerating
:) ) new users of cake.

In my case: I am happy to report this is *not* a bug or an issue with
cake, as I originally thought. I am able to reproduce the issue I was
seeing (high ping times as reported by the xbox game's network
monitoring) w/o cake being in the mix at all. So this issue is either
with how I've configured / built openwrt, or with my wireless network
mesh, or with the xbox itself. It is NOT an issue with cake.

Thank you all very much again. I will continue to use and test cake
and let you know if I encounter further issues with cake itself.

Thanks,
Dan