[Bloat] CAKE in openwrt high CPU

Sebastian Moeller moeller0 at gmx.de
Tue Sep 1 12:18:02 EDT 2020

HI Jonathan,

> On Sep 1, 2020, at 17:41, Jonathan Foulkes <jf at jonathanfoulkes.com> wrote:
>
> Toke, that link returns a 404 for me.
>
> For others, I’ve found that testing cake throughput with isolation options enabled is tricky if there are many competing connections.

	Are you talking about the fact that with competing connections, you only see the current isolation quantum's equivalent f the actual rate? In that case maybe parse the "tc -s qdisc" output to get an idea how much data/packets cake managed to push through in total in each direction instead of relaying on the measured goodput? I am probably barking up the wrong tree here...

> Like I keep having to tell my customers, fairness algorithms mean no one device will ever gain 100% of the bandwidth so long as there are other open & active connections from other devices.

	That sounds like solid advice ;) Especially in the light of the exceedingly useful "ingress" keyword, which under-load-will drop depending on a flow's "unresponsiveness" such that more responsive flows end up getting a somewhat bigger share of the post-cake throughput...

> That said, I’d love to find options to increase throughput for single-tin configs.

	With or without isolation options?

Best Regards
	Sebastian