[Bloat] CAKE in openwrt high CPU

Jonathan Morton chromatix99 at gmail.com
Tue Sep 1 15:05:21 EDT 2020

> On 1 Sep, 2020, at 9:45 pm, Toke Høiland-Jørgensen via Bloat <bloat at lists.bufferbloat.net> wrote:
>
> CAKE takes the global qdisc lock.

Presumably this is a default mechanism because CAKE doesn't handle any locking itself.

Obviously it would need to be replaced with at least a lock over CAKE's complete data structures, taking the lock on each entry point and releasing it at each return point, and I assume there is a flag we can set to indicate we do so.  Finer-grained locking might be possible, but CAKE is fairly complex so that might be hard to implement.  Locking per CAKE instance would at least allow running ingress and egress on different CPUs.

Is there an example anywhere on how to do this?

 - Jonathan Morton