[Bloat] CAKE in openwrt high CPU

Toke Høiland-Jørgensen toke at toke.dk
Thu Sep 3 10:32:41 EDT 2020

Luca Muscariello <muscariello at ieee.org> writes:

> On Thu, Sep 3, 2020 at 3:19 PM Mikael Abrahamsson via Bloat
> <bloat at lists.bufferbloat.net> wrote:
>>
>> On Tue, 1 Sep 2020, Toke Høiland-Jørgensen wrote:
>>
>> > Yup, the number of cores is only going to go up, so for CAKE to stay
>> > relevant it'll need to be able to take advantage of this eventually :)
>>
>> https://www.hardkernel.com/shop/odroid-h2plus/ is an interesting platform,
>> it has a quad core machine with 2 x 2.5GbE NICs.
>>
>> When using something like this for routing with HTB+CAKE for bidirectional
>> shaping below line rate, what would be the main things that would need to
>> be improved?
>
> IMO, hardware offloading for shaping, beyond this specific platform.
> I ignore if there is any roadmap with that objective.

Yeah, offloading of some sort is another option, but I consider that
outside of the "CAKE stays relevant" territory, since that will most
likely involve an entirely programmable packet scheduler. There was some
discussion of adding such a qdisc to Linux at LPC[0]. The Eiffel[1]
algorithm seems promising.

-Toke

[0] https://linuxplumbersconf.org/event/7/contributions/679/
[1] https://www.usenix.org/conference/nsdi19/presentation/saeed