[Bloat] How about a topical LWN article on demonstrating the real-world goodness of CAKE?

David Collier-Brown davecb.42 at gmail.com
Mon Sep 7 13:20:55 EDT 2020

Just FYI, I did two tests today, in my Copious Spare Time

 1. a DSLReports speed test using an IQrouter, and
 2. a Skype "tap" test, with and without the de-bloated router

The router did exactly what I expected: it vaporized the bloat-induced
delay provided by Rogers.

My previous bloat-induced lag was between 700 and 900 milliseconds under
load, and an unimpressive 240 milliseconds when idle.  With a de-bloated
router, lag was 40 milliseconds maximum, whether idle or loaded, and
about 30 millisecond minimum, or a 3500 km round-trip, appropriate for
the distances to the measurements points. By comparison, Rodger-Dogers
was giving me lag times more appropriate for a test to Ankara, Turkey.

The tap test was interesting, but less helpful. I connected to
1-909-390-0003, which is an instant-echo server, used to test voice
telephones. If you connect to it and say something, it will echo it back
to you. If you tap on your microphone, it's fairly easy to get an idea
of how much delay there is.

Alas, with and without bufferbloat mitigation, it took about a second
echo back the tap, so it's not the kind of instantly-obvious success
test I'm searching for, to demonstrate the goodness of CAKE to my
grandmother (;-))

--dave

davecb at spamcop.net            |                      -- Mark Twain