[Bloat] cake + ipv6

Daniel Sterling sterling.daniel at gmail.com
Mon Sep 28 02:22:51 EDT 2020

I guess the reason I'm surprised is I'm confused about the following:

For UDP streams that use <1mbit down , should I expect cake in ingress
mode to keep those at low latency even in the face of a constantly
full queue / backlog, using "besteffort" but also using host
isolation?

By backlog I mean what I see with tc -s qdisc. I assume that's the
total of all individual flow backlogs, right?

I'm guessing no, but I'm wondering why not. Let's say we have some
hosts doing downloads as fast as they can with as many connections as
they can, and another separate host doing "light" UDP (xbox FPS
traffic).

So that's, say, 4 hosts constantly filling their queue's backlog -- it
will always have as many bytes as the rtt setting allows -- so by
default up to 100ms of bytes at my bandwidth setting, per flow, right?
Or is that per host?

And then another host (the xbox) that will have a constant flow that
doesn't really respond to shaping hints -- it's going to have a steady
state of packets that it wants to receive and send no matter what. It
might go from "high" to "low" update resolution (e.g. 256kbit to
128bkit), but that's about it. It will always want about 256kbit down
and 128kbit up with v4 UDP.

Normally that stream will have an rtt of < 50ms. Sometimes, e.g.
in-between rounds of the same game (thus the same UDP flow), the
server might let the rtt spike to 100+ ms since nothing much needs to
be sent between rounds.

But once the new round starts, we'll want low latency again.

Is it at all possible that cake, seeing the UDP stream is no longer
demanding low latency (in-between rounds), it figures it can let its
rtt stay at 100+ms per its rtt settings, even after the new round
starts and the xbox wants low latency again?

That is, since every host wants some traffic, and most if not all the
queues / backlogs will always be filled, is it possible that once a
flow allows its rtt to rise, cake won't let it back down again until
there's a lull?

As I said, I solved this by giving xbox traffic absolute first
priority with the "prio" qdisc. Obviously this means the xbox traffic
can starve everything else given a malicious flow, but that's not
likely to happen and if it does, I will notice.

Does my theory about cake having pathological behaviour for gaming
flows while the backlog is full hold any water?

Thanks,
Dan