[Bloat] Questions for Bufferbloat Wikipedia article

Erik Auerswald auerswal at unix-ag.uni-kl.de
Tue Apr 6 14:50:15 EDT 2021

Hi,

On Tue, Apr 06, 2021 at 08:31:01AM +0200, Sebastian Moeller wrote:

> >> [...] while too large buffers cause undesirable increase in latency
> >> under load (but decent throughput), [...]
> >
> > With too large buffers, even throughput degrades when TCP considers
> > a delayed segment lost (or DNS gives up because the answers arrive
> > too late).  I do think there is _too_ large for buffers, period.
>
> Fair enough, timeouts could be changed though if required ;) but I fully
> concur that laergeish buffers require management to become useful ;)

Yes, large unmanaged buffers are at the core of the bufferbloat problem.
One can make buffers small again, or manage them appropriately.
The latter promises better results, the former is much simpler.

Thanks,
Erik
--
Am I secure? I don't know. Does that mean I should just disable all
security functionality and have an open root shell bound to a well known