[Bloat] Questions for Bufferbloat Wikipedia article

Jonathan Morton chromatix99 at gmail.com
Tue Apr 6 17:36:23 EDT 2021

> On 7 Apr, 2021, at 12:30 am, Sebastian Moeller <moeller0 at gmx.de> wrote:
>
> I still think that it is not completely wrong to abstractly say BBR evaluates RTT changes as function of the current sending rate to probe the bottlenecks capacity (and adjust its sending rate based on that estimated capacity), but that might either indicate I am looking at the whole thing at too abstract a level, or, as I fear, that I am simply misunderstanding BBR's principle of operation...

It might be more accurate to say that it estimates the delivery rate at the receiver by observing the ack stream, and aims to match that with the send rate.  There is some periodic probing upwards to see if a higher delivery rate is possible, followed by a downwards drain cycle which, I think, pays some attention to the observed RTT.  And there is also a cwnd mechanism overlaid as a safety valve.

Overall, it's very much a hybrid approach.

 - Jonathan Morton