[Bloat] starlink testing

Michael Richardson mcr at sandelman.ca
Tue Apr 20 10:09:58 EDT 2021

David Lang <david at lang.hm> wrote:
    > I haven't seen any follow-ups where anyone has gotten a login to the dish or
    > has sniffed the traffic between the dish and the router.

True, I haven't heard, but I haven't been looking.

    > I haven't seen anything that would show that the router has (or doesn't have)
    > any awareness of the satellite network.

With multi-hundred antenna to be steered, and an AMD64 CPU on board, I can't
imagine that that CPU isn't doing some significant amount of DSP.
If they had offboarded all the analog parts to another DSP or discrete logic,
then probably they wouldn't need a 64-bit CPU onboard: they could have used
something slower/cheaper.  Well, maybe there is future proofing involved.

I'm very disappointed that "Something simpler than IPv6" turned out to be "CGN".