[Bloat] DSLReports Speed Test doesn't like Remote Desktop

Kenneth Porter shiva at sewingwitch.com
Thu Aug 26 19:25:58 EDT 2021

The DSLReports speed test gives me <5 Mbps download speed when used over a
Remote Desktop connection. The same test gives me around 200 Mbps when run
on my machine connected to my display. The Waveform test shows 200 Mbps
from the remote machine. All are done with Chrome. Bunch of tabs open on
both, similar sets of extensions.

I'm testing my Comcast XB3 modem + OpenWrt router before upgrading it to
XB7.

I use two computers, both Win10-x64. One's a half-height with a bit better
CPU and memory that I use for development and web/mail, while the other has
a full-height tower chassis so it has my good video card for gaming. I have
my big 43" display hooked to the latter and I remote to the short machine
for "business" use.

https://www.waveform.com/tools/bufferbloat?test-id=62b54f0c-eb3e-40c8-ab99-4f2105f39525

This one looks very poor, 4 Mbps:

http://www.dslreports.com/speedtest/69341504

Much better, direct instead of through RDP:

http://www.dslreports.com/speedtest/69341657