[Bloat] tp-link request for SQM

Dave Taht dave.taht at gmail.com
Fri Dec 3 09:35:18 EST 2021

On Fri, Dec 3, 2021 at 5:40 AM Rich Brown <richb.hanover at gmail.com> wrote:

> > On Dec 3, 2021, at 7:00 AM, Dave Täht wrote:
> >
> > tp-link, is, so far as I know, the last major home router vendor NOT
> > shipping a SQM system. Perhaps this could be modded up with someones
> > with accounts?
> >
> > https://community.tp-link.com/us/home/forum/topic/511156
>
> Wait... what? Other vendors are providing SQM now? Cool!

That's a request for the feature. I have been digging into the
underlying QoS code on a few commercial products,
and documenting where fq-codel was on the wikipedia page:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FQ-CoDel - I need to add there's
another common thing "out there" - eero and google call sqm 'optimize
for conferencing and gaming".

I've found doc at least for a few more implementations - notably
riverbed and sophos.

cake, btw, has been part of riverbed's branch routers for a really
long time. a support rep told me he estimated about 40% usage.

and this got 170 upvotes yesterday:

https://www.reddit.com/r/HomeNetworking/comments/r7cfvg/comcast_delivers_90_working_latency_reductions_by/?sort=new

> How should we change the text on https://www.bufferbloat.net/projects/bloat/wiki/What_can_I_do_about_Bufferbloat/ that says:

One thing we need to do is adopt the right cc-by- license on the site.
:) Someone else did a wikipedia page for cake but it got
removed for copyright reasons.

> > • Install an off-the-shelf router with SQM: Several commercial router vendors have a clue. Here is a list of those we have found:
> >
> >       • IQrouter provides a good setup wizard for configuring SQM, and automatically tunes its settings. IQrouter v3 is good to about 350 mbps. (Version 2 was good for 200-250 mbps.)
> >       • Ubiquiti gear has fq_codel settings. People say its EdgeRouter will handle over 400 mbps.
> >       • The eero mesh routers list SQM as a feature. Their third generation devices support SQM at speeds up to a gigabit/second as of November 2021.
> >       • Many other mesh router vendors claim to solve bufferbloat. Check their spec’s or ask them about latency.
> >       • Untangle NG Firewall has fq_codel settings.
> >       • ipfire.org has fq_codel settings.
> >       • If you’re a Comcast/Xfinity customer, see if you can get the XB6 / CGM4140COM cable modem that has PIE enabled.
> >               Read p13 of Improving Latency with Active Queue Management (AQM) During COVID-19. for details.
>
> Thanks.

I tried to build a better future, a few times:
https://wayforward.archive.org/?site=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.icei.org

Dave Täht CEO, TekLibre, LLC