[Bloat] Updated Bufferbloat Test

Simon Barber simon at superduper.net
Thu Feb 25 14:56:55 EST 2021

Hi Sina,

That sounds great, and I understand the desire to separate the fixed component of latency and the buffer bloat / variable part. Messaging that in a way that accurately conveys the end user impact and the impact due to unmitigated buffers while being easy to understand is tricky.

Since you are measuring buffer bloat - how much latency *can* be caused by the excessive buffering, expressing the jitter number in terms of 95%ile would be appropriate - as that’s closely related to how large the excessive buffer is. The average jitter is more related to how the competing TCP streams have some gaps due to congestion control and these gaps can temporarily lower the buffer occupancy and result in a lower average jitter number.

Really appreciate this work, and the interface and ‘latency first’ nature of this test. It’s a great contribution, and will hopefully help drive ISPs to reducing their bloat, helping everyone.

Simon