[Bloat] Trouble Installing PPing in MacOS

Jason Iannone jason.iannone at gmail.com
Fri Feb 26 07:56:19 EST 2021

I ended up cloning the pping repo and running make locally.

Installing was a few steps:

1. mkdir ~/src/libtins/build
2. cd ~/src/libtins/build
2. git clone https://github.com/mfontanini/libtins.git
3. make
4. sudo make install
5. cd ~/src
6. git clone https://github.com/pollere/pping.git
7. cd pping
8. make
9. ./pping

The promise of this, as Kathleen Nichols points out, is that we can
passively monitor production flows to get a novel sense of end to end
performance per flow. I don't know of any other passive monitoring
technique, beyond a port mirror + a whole gang of systems, that can provide
this level of detail. Please enlighten me if I'm wrong. The only other
passive monitoring mechanisms I'm aware of are SNMP polling, IPFIX/*Flow,
and Streaming Telemetry Interface. None of those systems provide end to end
flow performance details. The standard in-band active monitoring tools are
good for determining node to node and full path metrics, but this provides
a more complete picture of end to end performance beyond active
y.1731/802.3ag/OAM probes. I'm a little surprised that I'm only learning
about it now.

Now to figure out how to make it show me something..

Jason