[Bloat] Rebecca Drucker's talk sounds like it exposes an addressable bloat issue in Ciscos

Erik Auerswald auerswal at unix-ag.uni-kl.de
Sun Jan 10 02:59:40 EST 2021

Hi,

On 10.01.21 08:19, Jonathan Morton wrote:
>> On 10 Jan, 2021, at 7:39 am, Erik Auerswald <auerswal at unix-ag.uni-kl.de> wrote:
>>
>> In my experience, asking about token-bucket algorithm details is often
>> a sign for the asker to not see the forest for the trees.
>
> IMHO, token-bucket is an obsolete algorithm that should not be used.

This level of detail seems useful (use of a different class of algorithm
instead of implementation details for a given algorithm class).

> [...]
> Many token-bucket implementations further complicate this by having two nested token-buckets.

Those are the details I had in mind as not of general importance.
They may matter for specific circumstances, but probably not much
in the context of short TCP streams using BBR vs. bufferbloat.

> [...]

Thanks,
Erik
--
Thinking doesn't guarantee that we won't make mistakes. But not thinking
guarantees that we will.