[Bloat] UniFi Dream Machine Pro

Nils Andreas Svee me at lochnair.net
Sat Jan 23 19:31:30 EST 2021

Was asked to chip in here, so I'll provide what little I know.

I never looked too hard at the new ARM-based units, because Ubiquiti's been refusing to release the GPL archives for them [1].

But AFAIK they're based on Buildroot (there's some info about that in the same thread [2]), and people have been cross-compiling userspace stuff for them, tusc from the WireGuard thread did just that with Boringtun to at least have WireGuard running in userspace [3].

It's running kernel 4.1.37 (heavily modified I assume, as they always are). And in [2] there's linked a text file with a information dump from on of those boxes, kernel config included. I assume though, that they've backported so much it's not possible to use the upstream kernel tree to compile against.

[1]: https://github.com/WireGuard/wireguard-vyatta-ubnt/issues/32#issuecomment-652755919
[2]: https://github.com/WireGuard/wireguard-vyatta-ubnt/issues/32#issuecomment-643757919
[3]: https://github.com/tusc/wireguard/blob/master/compiling.md

Best Regards