[Bloat] receiver side ledbat?

Erik Auerswald auerswal at unix-ag.uni-kl.de
Wed Mar 3 02:44:10 EST 2021

Hi,

On Tue, Mar 02, 2021 at 05:21:25PM -0800, Dave Taht wrote:
> I always kind of thought that clamping the receiver side window more
> dynamically would help a lot on cellular networks.

I concur and therefore disabled TCP window scaling when using Internet
access via cellular networks.  It is not sufficient for EDGE and worse,
but OK for 3G and fine for LTE in my experience.

> https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-irtf-iccrg-rledbat-01

I really like the idea of having a way to tell the sender side
to slow down, since they would otherwise fill the huge buffers in
cellular networks (I have measured round-trip-times of up to 4 minutes
over cellular networks).  The classical thinking that it is fine to
send whatever the receiving host can handle no longer holds in our
bufferbloated networks.

Thanks,
Erik
--
And I always like seeing NSA-designed cryptography [...]. It's like
examining alien technology.