[Bloat] Netperf re-licensed as MIT

Aaron Wood woody77 at gmail.com
Mon Mar 29 14:25:55 EDT 2021

iperf3 isn’t “academic”, but is more focused on scientific computing (ESNet
pushes a LOT of data CERN around, on 100Gbps backbones).

But that also skews their usage/needs.  Very high throughput bulk transfers
with long durations, over mixed systems. Not as many concerns about
latency, except in that latency can cause messes with congestion control.

On Sat, Mar 27, 2021 at 2:45 PM Dave Taht <dave.taht at gmail.com> wrote:

> so glad to hear the license has been fixed.
>
> carl, iperf is only used in a few of flent's tests. We trusted netperf
> - as did the linux kernel developers - a lot further than all the
> iperf variants combined - at the time we started work on flent.
>
> I would not mind us somehow developing a drop in replacement for
> netperf, perhaps leveraging the irtt codebase, as I have a long
> standing desire to be able to reliably measure latencies and the
> output of TCP_INFO in "some" tool below 250us.
>
> iperf has come a long way, but getting to where I could trust the
> largely "academic" codebase it was would take a ton of benchmarking.
>
> On Sat, Mar 27, 2021 at 2:09 PM Klatsky, Carl via Bloat
> <bloat at lists.bufferbloat.net> wrote:
> >
> > Toke,
> >
> > How you see this coming into Flent?  My understanding is that for
> latency & load test like RRUL:
> >
> > -iperf provides the bandwidth portion
> > -IRTT provides the latency portion, and if IRTT is not found, the test
> falls back to ICMP for the latency check
> >
> > Would netperf replace iperf for the bandwidth portion?  Do you see it
> being used for the latency portion?
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Carl

- Sent from my iPhone.