[Bloat] starlink bloat in review

Jim Gettys jg at freedesktop.org
Mon May 17 11:46:01 EDT 2021

As always, we have the problem of the last mile, in this case the hop into
the starlink network, and whatever is going on in the home router end. Most
Wi-Fi bloat is much worse than the last mile bloat, but you have to set out
to measure each independently.

When I first ran into buffer bloat, I measured 8 second latencies on the
bed upstairs, which if you moved the laptop even a few inches might drop to
something sane.

The customer doesn't care where the bloat is, just that it's happening...

Jim