[Bloat] In terms of bufferbloat-aware buyer constructing a RFP

Dave Taht dave.taht at gmail.com
Tue May 18 09:48:46 EDT 2021

No cloudy provider (I know of) has a SLA regarding bufferbloat related
issues. They sell things by the cpu, and do not
guarantee bandwidth or latencies. No chipmaker tests comprehensibly
for bufferbloat. Most downstream vendors have no clue, nor the users.

Perhaps this document, presented as part of an RFP (request for
proposal) by buyers, would be a start, much like iso 9001 compliance
once was. Or, reconstructed as a survey of the industry, distributed
widely?

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1i9-9M8589pEX_u7vKuwDFoQqbhJRlNPdLqXcxuDP73s/edit?usp=sharing

It's presently short enough to repaste here, but I would prefer
comments and additions be made directly on the url above.

VENDOR BUFFERBLOAT[1] STRATEGY QUESTIONS

What is your bufferbloat-fighting strategy across your product lines?

On Cable?

On DSL?

On Fiber ONTs?

On Ethernet?

On RocE?

On WiFi?

On Powerline Ethernet?

On Thread?

To what extent have you adopted the recommendations of IETF RFC7567 (
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/rfc7567)

Across your product lines?

In your cloud?

In your end user products?

Are you currently measuring Rate Vs Range Vs TCP RTT Latency across
your wireless and wifi products as google does?

What do you use to benchmark TCP RTT latency under load?

Do you presently have in your offloaded forwarding engines any support
for the following AQM or FQ or FQ+AQM technologies?

RED

HTB

SFQ (dscp)

SFQ (5 tuple)

DRR (dscp)

DRR (5 tuple)

Pie (RFC8033)

DOCSIS-Pie (RFC8034)

Codel (RFC8289)

Fq_codel (RFC8290)

Cake

Fq_pie

Dualpi

Assuming you support one or more of these, do any have RFC3168 ECN
support? DCTCP ECN support?

Have you successfully managed to offload “SQM” (Smart Queue
Management) support in anything?

Can you demonstrate BQL in operation on your Linux based products
during your benchmarks? (tool: bqlmon)

What Linux network scheduler is commonly used in your cloud, or end
user products, or testing regimes?

Sch_pfifo

Sch_fq

Sch_fq_codel

Sch_pie

Sch_tbf

Sch_htb

Sch_cake

Other

What operating systems are used to test with?

Windows 7

Windows 10

OSX

IOS

Android

Linux

What TCP congestion controls are in use in your cloud, end user
products, and testing regimes?

Reno

Cubic

CDG

Vegas

BBRv1

BBRv2

Other

Is ATF (airtime fairness) in your latest 802.11ac and ax router AP products?

Do you support the Linux APIs for fq_codel for wifi? Presently we only
observe Intel, QCA, and Mediatek support in the Linux mainline. If
not, what are your equivalents for queue management between fast (high
mcs rates) and slow (low mcs rate) stations? Does apple have support
for your equivalents?

Are there APIs and cross compilers to add these features available to
developers? How may they gain access?

[1] https://bufferbloat-and-beyond.net/

--
Latest Podcast: