[Bloat] AQM & Net Neutrality

Livingood, Jason Jason_Livingood at comcast.com
Mon May 24 09:09:54 EDT 2021

I’m looking for opinions here re bloat-busting techniques like AQM in the context of network neutrality (NN). The worry I have is whether some non-technical people will misunderstand how AQM works & conclude that implementing it may violate NN because it would make interactive traffic perform better than it does today. That is true of course – it’s a design goal of AQM, but non-interactive traffic performs as well as it always has – it is not disadvantaged.

Maybe the worries I have heard just points out the need for more education/awareness about what delay is and why things like AQM are not prioritization/QoS? I appreciate any thoughts.

Jason