[Bloat] Beyond Bufferbloat: End-to-End Congestion Control Cannot Avoid Latency Spikes

Bjørn Ivar Teigen bjorn at domos.no
Tue Nov 2 06:46:37 EDT 2021

Hi everyone,

I've recently published a paper on Arxiv which is relevant to the
Bufferbloat problem. I hope it will be helpful in convincing AQM doubters.
Discussions at the recent IAB workshop inspired me to write a detailed
argument for why end-to-end methods cannot avoid latency spikes. I couldn't
find this argument in the literature.

Here is the Arxiv link: https://arxiv.org/abs/2111.00488

A direct consequence is that we need AQMs at all points in the internet
where congestion is likely to happen, even for short periods, to mitigate
the impact of latency spikes. Here I am assuming we ultimately want an
Internet without lag-spikes, not just low latency on average.

Hope you find this interesting!

--
Bjørn Ivar Teigen
Head of Research