[Bloat] Beyond Bufferbloat: End-to-End Congestion Control Cannot Avoid Latency Spikes

Bjørn Ivar Teigen bjorn at domos.no
Wed Nov 3 12:13:21 EDT 2021

Jonathan Newton over at Vodafone Group made some interesting observations
about what happens when two of the optimal congestion controllers interact
through a shared FIFO queue:

If we take two flows E and F;  E is 90% of bandwidth and F 10%;  the time
> for the congestion signal to reach the sender for each flow is dE and dF
> where dE is 10ms and dF 100ms.   We assume no prioritisation so they must
> share the same buffer at X, and therefore share the same peak transient
> delay.
>
> We have an event at t0 where the bandwidth is halved.
>
> For time t0 to t0+dE (the first 10ms), the total rate transmitted by both
> sources is twice (90%*10%)/50% the output rate, so the component of the
> peak delay of this part is (2-1)*dE = 10ms
>
> For time t0+dE to t0+Fd (the next 90ms), the total rate transmitted by
> both sources is (45%+10%)/50% of the output rate, so the component of the
> peak delay of this part is (1.1-1)*dF-dE = 9ms
>
> Making the peak transient delay 19ms.

This implies that moving some senders closer to the edge (e.g. CDNs) might
help reduce lag spikes for everyone. It also implies that slow-responding
flows can have a very big impact on the peak transient latency seen by
rapidly responding flows. If the bandwidth sharing ratio in the above
example is 50/50, then the peak transient delay will be 55 ms, seen by both
flows. For flow E that's a big increase from the 10 ms we'd expect if flow
E was alone. For C=3 the increase is even worse, with flow E going from
20ms to 100ms when sharing the link with flow F.

- Bjørn

--
Bjørn Ivar Teigen
Head of Research