[Bloat] *under*bloated networks

Dave Taht dave.taht at gmail.com
Mon Nov 22 22:35:26 EST 2021

In the last two weeks I have found two dramatically underbuffered Gbit
fiber networks.

This one appears to have about a 400 full size packet uplink buffer (5ms)[1]

https://imgur.com/a/Bm9hdNf

It was pretty remarkable to see how well multiple tcp flows still
achieved close to the full rate with such a small fixed size queue,
eventually.

A single bbr flow can't crack 150mbits: https://imgur.com/a/DpydL5K.

[1] Data courtesy testing "eethaw"'s eero 6's new hardware fq_codel
offload, which is, seemingly good to a gbit at least on one direction.

https://www.reddit.com/r/eero/comments/qxbkcl/66_is_out/

--
I tried to build a better future, a few times:
https://wayforward.archive.org/?site=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.icei.org

Dave Täht CEO, TekLibre, LLC