[Bloat] FCC chair

Dave Taht dave.taht at gmail.com
Wed Oct 27 19:56:34 EDT 2021

I'm pretty sure this is very good news:

https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2021/10/biden-finally-makes-fcc-picks-rosenworcel-as-chair-gigi-sohn-as-commissioner/

I'd had a very brief but positive interaction with gigi during the
fight[1] to allow us to keep flashing our own routers so we could
perfect fq_codel for wifi,
and a few with "public knowledge as well. I often have remorse as
after we knocked the FCC flat with that one shot

( https://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2015/11/fcc-we-arent-banning-dd-wrt-on-wi-fi-routers/
)

we didn't pursue the political arena harder... as instead, wifi 6
ended up with even more binary blobs and totally missing out on what
we'd made feasible only a few months later on the ath9k chip. I'd just
got up from that one meeting at the FCC, and went back to work on the
technology, and the energy we'd built, dissolved.

I worry of course about regulation holding back the deployment of
quality aqm/fq algorithms such as pie, fq_codel, fq_pie, and cake as
opposed to promoting them...

[1] http://www.taht.net/~d/fcc_saner_software_practices.pdf

--
Fixing Starlink's Latencies: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c9gLo6Xrwgw