[Bloat] [Cerowrt-devel] Little's Law mea culpa, but not invalidating my main point

Kenneth Porter shiva at sewingwitch.com
Mon Sep 20 06:05:19 EDT 2021

On 9/19/2021 9:00 PM, Valdis Klētnieks wrote:
> I have a nice Chrome extension called IPvFoo that actually tracks the IP
> addresses contacted during the load of the displayed page. I'll let you make
> a guess as to how many unique IP addresses were contacted during a load
> ofhttps://www.cnn.com

> 145, at least half of which appeared to be analytics.  And that's only the
> hosts that were contacted by my laptop for HTTP, and doesn't count DNS, or
> load-balancing front ends, or all the back-end boxes.  As I commented over on
> NANOG, we've gotten to a point similar to that of AT&T long distance, where 60%
> of the effort of connecting a long distance phone call was the cost of
> accounting and billing for the call.

Should we be trying to block those, the way we do with ads? (I heartily
recommend uBlock Origin for that.) Would it break the pages or make them
faster?

The primary reason I block ads is to block malware. The second reason is
to block video ads that insist on playing in the background when the
browser is hidden, eating CPU and playing annoying sound. I really don't
object to viewing commercial material if it's not shoving itself in my
face or trying to hurt my machine. But saving bandwidth and speeding
things up are worthy goals.