[Bloat] broadband cost analysis

Rich Brown richb.hanover at gmail.com
Tue Apr 19 08:53:16 EDT 2022

> On Apr 15, 2022, at 12:00 PM, bloat-request at lists.bufferbloat.net wrote:
>

>>   $2K-$4K per premise for the drop cable from the pole and the router in the premise
>
> What is the CPE router? Does it have AQM or some other latency control mechanism?

I should have included the details in my original note:

The cost per premise includes the ONT - they're using Calix Gigacenter - plus all the materials and labor to run the drop from the pole to the home, plus all the interior work, plus any time spent making sure the customer is on the air.

NB: The $40K/mile includes the cost of system design, obtaining licenses to use the utility poles, other regulatory hoo-hah, make-ready - surveying the exact location of all the poles, inspecting them for suitability (not rotten, tall enough to carry another service, etc), replacing any sub-standard poles, then the cost of actually hanging the steel strand and the fiber on the poles.

And no, the CPE doesn't include any AQM that I'm aware of. Latency isn't dreadful, but many people still use their IQrouters (installed because we could only get 7/1 mbps DSL prior to the arrival of the fiber connectivity.)