[Bloat] Researchers discover major roadblock in alleviating network congestion

Michael Richardson mcr at sandelman.ca
Mon Aug 8 11:34:42 EDT 2022

Jonathan Morton via Bloat <bloat at lists.bufferbloat.net> wrote:
    > I believe it is actually possible to achieve equalisation of network
    > power between flows, which would approach the global optimum of network
    > power, using information from the network to guide endpoint behaviour.
    > This is *only* possible using explicit information from the network,
    > however, and is not directly compatible with the current
    > congestion-control paradigm of RTT-fairness by default.

There is a thread on ietf at ietf.org about the role of the IETF (and RFCs) in
making the Internet more sustainable/energy efficient.

I don't think that the term "network power" is units of Joules :-)
but I do think that transmitters that are fully powered on, but idle are a waste.
I think that we (the world/internet/R&D/operational community) are ready for
ways to optimize flows that explicitely take information from the network.

To do this well requires new trust relationships that have been very
difficult to even create locally, even within an Enterprise.