[Bloat] minecraft over 5g

Sebastian Moeller moeller0 at gmx.de
Thu Aug 11 14:29:16 EDT 2022

Hi Dave,

> On Aug 11, 2022, at 20:14, Dave Taht via Bloat <bloat at lists.bufferbloat.net> wrote:
>
> "Are we not all tired of talking about throughput as a key measure of
> 5G?" Amin told Light Reading in response to a question about 1&1's
> strategy. "The first accomplishment is to deliver 3-millisecond
> latency and to put a Minecraft application server, the UPF [user plane
> function], CU, DU and Robin.io all collocated in the same pod. This is
> just brilliant."

	Assuming all your minecraft friends live in the same pod's aggregate area and are at the same mobile carrier/ISP...*
	I am glad they are focussing on lower latency over bulk thoughput for sure, but I fail to see any sound business strategy behind such demonstrators. Personally I would never ever play on game servers housed and operated by my ISP (and I like my ISP) but I will not put all of my digital eggs in one basket (I use different companies for fixed and mobile internet access for the same reason).

*) Otherwise you are typically better off trying to locate the server where it has roughly the same RTT to all players.